Home Link

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Fishin' 4 Addition

While at Dollar Tree (where else would I be), I found magnetic fishing games.  Each game comes with a fishing pole that has a magnet on the end of the line and three little sea creatures that also have magnets. 

I bought six so I could use them during computation stations.  When I got home I dug out my magnet stuff and found the bingo chips I bought years ago.  They are plastic with a metal ring around the exterior - I bought these at Wal-Mart many, many years ago.  I wrote numbers on small, white round stickers, the kind people use for pricing things at yard sales, and stuck one on each bingo chip.  I also wrote a number on each of the sea creatures that came with the game.  On one creature I wrote the word WILD, so students could choose their own number for that one. 


The idea is to go fishing for two numbers and write an addition fact using those numbers, then write a related subtraction fact.  There you have it- Fishin' 4 Addition! 

I created a recording sheet.  Click here for the printable version!

You could tweak this game and use the numbers they catch for greater than/less than, odd/even, or making two digit numbers and place value activities. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment