Home Link

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sight Word Checkers

I found this compact checker board at...wait for it...Dollar Tree!  Yup, you guessed it- $1.  Using my trusty sharpie yet again, I wrote sight words on the red squares.  On the board below I wrote some sight words that we have been struggling with.  On another board I wrote the days of the week, months of the year and numbers. 






To move your checker, you have to read the word on the square you are moving to.  If you are planning to "jump" another player's checker, you must read both the square you are jumping to and the square the other player is already on.  You can tweak the rules to suit your students' needs.  As the students read squares and move their checkers, they will record the words they have read.  The recording sheet below can have squares added or taken away, depending on your needs.  


Fondly,


2 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Keep seeing this game and couldn't quite come up with something to do with it :)
    Thanks...however, I couldn't get your doc to download...it says it's not available.

    Swamp Frog First Graders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try downloading it again. I just tried and it worked. If it still is finicky, let me know and I will email it to you! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete