Home Link

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Polar Region Finale

I don't think I have mentioned that we have been studying the Polar Regions.  I love teaching children about these extraordinary areas of our planet!  This year I found Penguin Party Pasta!  This adorable pasta can be found at The Pasta Shoppe.  Penguin pasta was too good to pass up, so I grabbed a bag and started thinking about what I could do with it.  I thought it would be great to end our study of the Polar Regions with a Polar Region Luncheon.  The penguin pasta would be the main course.  As the date came closer and closer, I realized I did not have enough pasta to feed all 23 students and any adults who may be tempted by the smell.  Off I went to the store and to my horror and dismay they were out of the cute little penguins, but they did have Woodland Pasta.  Well, the grizzly bears and moose looked just like polar bears and caribou to me, so I added them to the penguin pasta to have polar animal pasta!  We had two crock pots going- one with pasta and one with sauce.  Here's a picture of the dueling crocks!

We also had Blizzard Salad; fruit salad with mini white marshmallows and coconut, very yummy and made by our classroom assistant!  For vegetables we served baby carrots, cucumber slices and cherry tomatoes, or as I like to call it, Caribou Crunch.  (I initially planned to have short veggie kabobs which we would call Veggie Inuksuk, but that plan fizzled.)  Last, we had Arctic Seal Cakes for dessert.  Very yummy and awfully cute.  

                                    

                                    

These little cuties were made from white cake mix (nope, not from scratch), white frosting, coconut and two chocolate chips for eyes.  Don't they look like baby arctic seals?  My students also thought they looked like polar bear cubs, ermines and arctic foxes!  They were so tasty!  We all ate together in the classroom (instead of the cafeteria) and it was a really nice time.  While we all visited I heard my kiddos talking about the polar regions, the food we were eating and that our classroom assistant and I are "good cooks".  Pretty great way to put this unit to bed.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment