Home Link

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sight Word Scrabble

I wanted to find a new way for my first graders to practice sight words.  They love solving word searches, so I thought they might like putting words together like in a scrabble game.  First things first, I used large craft sticks and wrote sight words on them.  I used sight words that we have been working on, but you could use any list you choose.


Then I created some labels for coffee cans to make it look scrabble-y and festive!





Of course, the craft sticks go in the cans.  The students take turns taking a stick, reading the word, and then writing it on the board.  If a word cannot be added, it is put back in the can.  I did not get a picture of the scrabble board I created to post here, however, I do have a downloadable for you! 

Download Sight Word Scrabble Board Here!

***The downloads have given me some trouble- click on refresh and that should do it!!


The kids have LOVED this, so give it a try and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous idea!
    Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heidi! Great to hear from you! Everytime see frogs I think of you!

    ReplyDelete